Cosmic Abundances Activity
This activity provides practice for reading and interpreting the log plot of solar system elemental abundances.
- Refer to the chart of the solar system abundances
6. How much more hydrogen is there than aluminum?
From the plot, determine the abundances of the following elements:
5. How much more hydrogen is there in the solar system than helium?
7. How much more hydrogen is there than gold?
- Below is a table of the various processes in the universe that create elements. Also listed are the combined abundances (relative to hydrogen) of that particular groups of elements.
|Process||Predominant elements||Combined |
|Big Bang ||H, He ||1.10 x 1012|
|Small Stars ||C,N,O ||1.19 x 109|
|Large Stars ||other elements with atomic |
numbers up through Fe
|2.56 x 108|
|Supernovae elements ||with atomic numbers |
|1.94 x 106|
|Cosmic Rays ||Li, Be, B ||2.68 x 103|
What are ways to illustrate or plot these data?