Student Worksheet: Identifying Elements in Supernova
- Print out the three simulated spectra of the Tycho supernova remnant:
- Simulated ASCA Spectrum (doc, pdf)
- Simulated Astro-E Spectrum (doc, pdf)
- Simulated Constellation-X Spectrum (doc, pdf)
- Use the X-ray line chart below to identify the elements that
the various peaks of emission seen in the spectra. (You can write
the printed spectra).
- Answer the Think About questions.
Energies of Elemental Spectral Line Features
- Using spectra, how does an astronomer determine the composition
of a star or supernova remnant?
- List some differences and similarities in the spectra from the
three X-ray observatories (ASCA, Astro-E,and Constellation X).
- Were you able to determine with better accuracy what elements
were present in the Astro-E spectra and Con-X spectra as compared to
the ASCA spectra? If so, why?