Organizations that support afterschool programs:
- National AfterSchool Association
- Afterschool Alliance
- Coalition for Science After School
- Informal education at NASA
- NASA Goddard Visitor's Center in Greenbelt, MD offers exhibits, programs, and tours
Many of the sessions in Afterschool Universe were adapted from sources developed for a classroom. We list the original sources below as they list the National Science Standards addressed.
- Learning resources about the Universe for educators, scientists, and students. This site includes the "Modelling the Universe" and "Cosmic Survey" activities.
- Science First, where you can find the telescopes (and associated lesson plans) built by students in Session 3.
- Soda can core contraction demonstration from the X-ray Chandra Observatory
- Original version of the ball drop activity for supernova explosions from the Chandra X-ray Observatory
- "Make your own Milky Way Model" activity from the Subaru telescope
- Original version of the aluminum foil and balloon black hole activity from Imagine the Universe!
- "High Energy Groove Cosmic Quilt" activity from the Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer
Other educational resources and programs associated with the Astrophysics Science Division at NASA Goddard